My Kids...My Life

A little about them...a little about me.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

When in Rome...

You know how in some cultures something is really popular, while in other cultures the same thing, although it exists, is not nearly as popular? Well, when we lived in New Zealand, way back when, everyone used these. You almost needed to. But when we moved back to the States it was no longer necessary, and I don't even think we owned one anymore. I don't think I know of anyone who owns one currently. Not that it would be a major topic of conversation.

When I was pregnant I bought one, because it was on a list of things I might want during labor. So I did, because I remembered how nice it could be. But I didn't use it, so it got stuck in a drawer in my bathroom.

Well last night I was laying in bed...freezing to death! Finally my body warmed up, but my feet were still little (actually quite large) ice cubes. And I started thinking back to the days of living in NZ with no central heating in our little house, and how we always had electric blankets, because you would freeze to death if you didn't. Then it dawned on me...something else that I had used so many years ago, and had actually purchased 5 years ago. (Remember? The birth of my son?) Anyway, I got up out of bed, and dug around in that bathroom drawer and found it.

My HOT WATER BOTTLE! Oh my goodness!!!! I filled that baby up with hot water, jumped back into bed and put it on top of my feet. I think I was asleep almost instantaneously. It felt so good on my ice cold feet. I think the cat liked it, too, because she found her way over to my feet and laid right next to them all night.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that just because nobody in your culture uses a specific item, doesn't mean that you have to stop using it. Especially when it serves a great purpose. Like keeping freezing cold feet warm at night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home