My Kids...My Life

A little about them...a little about me.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A friend in need...

Do you ever long for a really good friend? I feel like all my life I've looked for a best friend - someone with whom I connect spiritually, emotionally, mentally. Now before anyone tells me that my husband should be my best friend, I am here to tell you that he is. I love him and we do have a good relationship. But I'm talking about a female friend. It's completely different. Throughout my life, I've had probably two friends that I would consider "best friends".

The first is Vanessa. We met while our family lived in New Zealand. For the first six months we lived there I had a hard time making any real friends (I was 14 years old. A terrible time in my life.). But then, somehow, through mutual friends we just clicked. Although we have little contact these days, I still consider her one of my best friends. It was just one of those relationships that was a gift from God.

The second is Jennifer. We've known each other our whole lives, going to church together. I guess it was after we had graduated from high school that we just started doing everything together. We had some great summers together, memories that are so sweet and fun - nostalgia at its best! I love getting together with her and reminiscing. But just like so many friendships, things change, people change, and we drifted apart. Nothing bad really happened, we just kind of stopped calling. She had started hanging out with a co-worker, and I had gotten married. We were just in different places in our lives.

So, it's been a long time since I've had what I would consider a best friend. Probably about eight years or so. I've got friends, but no one that I really share anything with. That's what I'm looking for. And ideally this friend would have a husband that my husband could be good friends with. I guess I'm looking for community. And I don't have it - at least I don't have my ideal of it. We are very close to my sister and her husband...but I really want someone outside of my family. Someone who gives me a different perspective.

I guess that I need to turn back to God for this. It is by answered prayer that he gave me the above mentioned friends. If I'm truly looking for a friend that will be what is good for me...He is the answer. He knows best the kind of friend I need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home