My Kids...My Life

A little about them...a little about me.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Not your typical Mother's Day post

I am easily frustrated by people. I don’t understand why they refuse to commit to things. Specifically to church. I’m not talking about people who are “Chreasters” (you know, Christmas & Easter attendees). I’m talking about people who say they are committed.

We are a part of a small group with 5 couples. It was a good group. But we took a break at Christmas that ended up lasting about 2 months. So finally, I just said we needed to get back into it. Well, one couple backed out because they had just had a baby, and the husband traveled too much for work, so he couldn’t commit to Tuesdays. The second couple has only the wife attending, because her husband is taking night classes. The third couple backed out temporarily because the husband’s job moved him out of town for about 1½ months. So of course, his wife couldn’t make it without him, because she refuses to find a babysitter. And now, they’ve come back two times and she asked when we were taking another break. Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!

Last Tuesday, they didn’t show up because they “forgot”. Yeah, right. This week, they’ve arranged a meeting on Tuesday night, because of course you couldn’t arrange it on any other night of the week that you have nothing else happening. Just tell us that you’re not coming back. So, today she tells me that she didn’t think they could come anymore because they don’t have a babysitter. I just said, in a not-so-nice tone, that maybe we should just cancel since nobody seems to want to come anymore. I mean, why waste each other’s time?

I was raised completely differently. If you commit to something, then you commit. That means that you’re there come hell or high water. Now, there are times that I don’t want to go. Like today, for example. I had a lovely Mother’s Day. I stayed in my jammies until around 2 pm, because I could. And at that point, I felt too lazy to get into the shower and get ready to go to church at 4 pm. But I did, and I’m glad I went. I sang songs with the kids before they had Sunday School and we had a really good time. The sermon was good, and it was good to see everyone. I believe God blesses you when you take the time to worship him.

So anyway, now it’s Monday, and I’m trying to figure out what to say to this couple about their lack of commitment. Maybe I shouldn’t say anything. Maybe someone else should do it. Someone who doesn’t feel so frustrated or emotional about the whole thing. I’m praying about it and asking God to help me calm down and put it all in perspective. We’ll see how that goes…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home